Sunday, April 26, 2009

Aren't these guys a little young for mid-life crises?

In 1993, a Pennsylvania high-school football game ended in a tie. Now, the teams involved in that game want to go back and settle the score. The two teams, Easton and Phillipsburg, were major rivals so leaving the field on a tie stung for the guys playing. (Back in 1993, high schools didn't play overtime, so if the score was tied at the end of regulation, that's how the game ended.)

Gatorade decided to sponsor a replay of the game so a winner could finally be declared. Maybe it's just a silly stunt by a bunch of men who want to recapture their lost youth. But there have been some definite benefits to the participants. The teams, now made up of men in their 30s, have been practicing for the past several weeks. As a result, many of the guys have lost weight and improved their health. One guy was even able to stop taking high blood pressure medication.

In 1993, Easton was heavily favored to win the game, but perhaps the march of years have been kinder to Phillipsburg. Phillipsburg won today's replay 27-12.

So the guys from Phillipsburg are probably glad they went through with the replay.

4 comments:

Meryl said...

Ok, maybe it's just me, but that sounds like so much fun! Don't we all have some high school contest we'd love to go back and get a redo on? For me, it's state music senior year. Won the medal for some crappy trio thing I did on a lark, and got a "II" rating for the solo I'd put my soul into. Would totally re-learn to play flute to get another shot at that!

S said...

When I first read about this last week, I did think it was a little silly, but the idea is definitely growing on me. But for me, I don't think there's anything from high school I'm particularly eager to re-do.

lu said...

i'd agree, in fact there is very little you could offer me to go back to high school. life just gets so much better after your graduation!

Anonymous said...

The last thing I want to do is go back and relive high school. Ugh! Everytime I go back to Iola, there are those friends that just want to relive that day when so-and-so caught the pass, or such-and-such happened. It's so annoying...there's life after high school doorknobs! BTW, most of my friends that live in Iola have "moved on" but not all.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs