Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I swear

Justice Scalia apparently thinks the entire country is divided into two parts: the big, bad city and nice, wholesome Pleasantville. And never the twain shall meet in his mind.

"We doubt, to begin with, that small-town broadcasters run a heightened risk of liability for indecent utterances. In programming that they originate, their down-home local guests probably employ vulgarity less than big-city folks; and small-town stations generally cannot afford or cannot attract foul-mouthed glitteratae from Hollywood." FCC v. Fox Television Stations, Inc., p.24

(In case you're wondering, this is the single swear word case, where Fox was fined because Bono dropped an f-bomb during a live telecast.)

Huh?? I mean, WTF? If I had been drinking coffee when I read that, I would have spit it. Does he seriously think that people who don't live in the big, bad cities don't swear? All I can say is F*** that S***. I call a big, steaming pile of male cow manure on that one.

This man is one of a very select group. He is one of 9 people who set an awful lot of the rules the rest of us have to live with. And he has no idea what real life in this country is really like. It's not just Hollywood glitterati who swear. Even small-town rubes can drop the f-bomb once in a while. Even nice, happy heartlanders can call people a-holes and b*tches. He can't seriously think otherwise. Can he?

And who uses terms like "down-home"?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you 100%. Scalia is some piece-of-work.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, your commentary will merely confirm the misguided judge's injudicious opinion and provide additional fuel to the bondfire being built by those who wish to suppress all serious (and satirical) forms of guaranteed free speech.

lovable liberal said...

Is Scalia's use of the feminine plural glitteratae meant to call the profane girly-men? Surely a hide-bound traditionalist such as he is knows Latin better than I do.

The question whether Scalia is a misogynist I regard as settled in the affirmative. But it's amazing that he can at once hold up small town residents as paragons while at the same time patronizing them.

S said...

I wondered about that spelling choice, too.

The thing about Scalia that has always infuriated me is that arrogance of his that allows him to patronize and condescend to just about everyone. He came to my law school to speak once and immediately launched into a diatribe against long-haired, sandal-wearing hippie professors. Everyone's favorite professor was present at the event, with his long hair and wearing his sandals. I couldn't get over the idea that a member of the Supreme Court felt free to insult our faculty members like that.

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs