Saturday, December 18, 2010

HUZZAH!!!

This vote deserves a post of its own.  The Senate has now voted to end filibuster on repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell.  Because of those silly Senate rules, this is the vote that really mattered.  As the clerk read through the aye votes, I was madly marking them down.  On the initial roll call, we got to 59, needing 60.  And I noticed that Harry Reid of Nevada had not yet voted.  So I knew we had it.  In the end, we got 63 votes, so room to spare.

My mom and I were madly texting back and forth, each confirming that we had reached the critical number.  Why C-Span wasn't showing a running count, I do not know.  Just to add to the suspense?  Once the final tally was officially announced, the blubbering began.  We prevailed.  Equality, fairness, justice prevailed.  In just a matter of days, the federal government will officially end one of the most despicable, discriminatory policies on the books.  I feel some lingering sadness that the Dream Act failed, but I will not let that take away from the glow I am feeling over DADT repeal.

Of course as my mom points out, it's a tad annoying that the actual vote on repeal won't happen until Monday.  But that vote is going to happen and it will go our way.  Then President Obama will sign the bill and he will have accomplished one of the biggest things I hoped for when I voted for him.  And all of our honorable gay and lesbian service members should have a very Merry Christmas and/or a Happy New Year!

No comments:

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs