Thursday, July 21, 2011

Huzzah!

Word is that new Defense Secretary Leon Panetta will certify that gays may serve openly in the armed forces tomorrow. That certification will then be signed by the President, of course, as he made repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT) a campaign promise. And then based on the law Congress passed earlier this year, there will be a 60 day waiting period. (Why,  I couldn't tell ya. Wasn't the certification supposed to come after military training? What else needs to be done, for crying out loud?) After which DADT will finally be relegated to the trash heap of history where it belongs.

I remember back in the days when DADT was first being passed. I was an idealistic, somewhat naive, college student. At that time, I had no idea that gays and lesbians were barred from serving in the military. I was appalled. I'm still appalled. Sexual orientation has never been, could never be, a valid basis for excluding someone from military service. Thankfully, the law of the land will very, very soon recognize that basic fact.

I think this news deserves a second Huzzah!

No comments:

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs