Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Update on the marriage pledge

As of now, two Republican presidential candidates have refused to sign that Iowa marriage pledge.

Tim Pawlenty, the forgotten man, has said he prefers "to choose my own words, especially seeking to show compassion to those who are in broken families through no fault of their own." I certainly appreciate that nod to the idea that single parent families shouldn't be considered inferior. At least, I think that's what he means. But he did say he agrees with the principles behind the pledge, whatever that means.

And Mitt Romney, still the favorite even if Michele Bachmann has gained on him in Iowa, said he found parts of the pledge to be undignified and inappropriate for a presidential campaign. I like those comments, even though he also said he supported "traditional marriage."

I'm glad to see some candidates not just avoiding the pledge but outright refusing to sign it. My nonconformist streak isn't a fan of people signing onto things just because they feel obligated. And, of course, I hate the pledge so I don't want people signing it. Not that I'd ever be likely to vote for either of these guys for loads of other reasons, but they're sure ahead of Bachmann and Santorum in my book right now.

No comments:

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs