Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Have you heard about this lawmaker who won't honor those radical, communist, lesbian Girl Scouts? It's a pretty funny story and definitely earning him some mocking from many of my family members and friends today. It's easy to react by thinking it takes a special kind of loon to hate the Girl Scouts so much that he won't sign off on a harmless legislative proclamation honoring the 100th anniversary of the organization. Certainly on the substances of the complaints, I fall on the side of saying, "You go girls!" Calling the Girls Scouts a tactical arm of Planned Parenthood that encourages sex is just silly.

But the more I've thought about it, I have to admit one thing. Were I in his shoes, were I a state legislature being asked to honor the Boy Scouts of America, I would do what he did. Now, maybe you would respond that I would be petty to refuse to honor that organization. Or that it's a silly thing to make a principled stand about. But that organization went all the way to the Supreme Court to fight for the right to exclude gays, and justified it by citing their creed that requires Boy Scouts to live "clean" lives. And an organization that would go to such lengths to discriminate like that is not an organization I could honor.

So, while I think his complaints about the Girl Scouts are beyond silly (really, they're not some kind of training camp for radical feminazis*...), I really can't object to his refusing to sign the House Resolution. Because that is something I would do. Almost like I was guided through life to be one of those pro-abortion, homosexuality-promoting, radical lesbian Girl Scouts.



*In the interest of full disclosure, I was never a Girl Scout. This is as defensive of them as I ever thought I would be in elementary school. Because I was a Camp Fire girl. In first through third grades, we were the Blue Birds. And Girl Scouts at that time were Brownies. I bet you can guess what we Camp Fire girls decided was a Blue Bird's favorite food... And believe me, the Camp Fire girls were WAY more radical, feminist, hard core than the Girl Scouts in our area.

2 comments:

BellsforStacy said...

I was a girl scout until the 7th grade.

I think he should go after the camp fire girls. :) JK

S said...

Just to be clear, I'm all for camp fire girls and girl scouts having some friendly rivalry, but when it comes to outsiders like this dick, solidarity, sister!

 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs